Monday, October 1, 2012

Quintana of Charyn by Melina Marchetta

Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
Good Reads Summary
Quintana of Charyn by Melina Marchetta

Separated from the girl he loves and has sworn to protect, Froi must travel through Charyn to search for Quintana, the mother of Charyn's unborn king, and protect her against those who will do anything to gain power. But what happens when loyalty to family and country conflict? When the forces marshalled in Charyn's war gather and threaten to involve the whole of the land, including Lumatere, only Froi can set things right, with the help of those he loves.

My Thoughts
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I felt everything again. This is what this author’s books do to me. Every. Single. Time. Because it’s either about family or about friends or about roads that lead them to each other or away from each other. It’s the individuals and how one links to another then another then another that makes me feel all these things. Right now? I’m looking to the side of wonder with them.

Perhaps, the most delightful part is how there’s a playful that’s wove through the rest of those emotions. Oh, yes, The Feels, this book has them in spades (getting to a point when I just wanted someone to hold my hand through it.) Because even when it’s hard and sad and maddening, there’s always someone who manages to say something that has me laughing. Like, how all of sudden here’s Lucian acting out of character, or there’s Arjuro being his surly self or even Quintana being scary and fierce, then letting you catch a glimpse of her that’s more than that. And that’s it too, that each of them is more than you think them at first.

A subtle magic here, not the spell weaving or the wand wielding or anything big like that; but one that’s basic, rooted in the people involved. And it’s a lovely idea because it goes back to this being a story of people, each faced with paths to follow and decisions to make… none of those ever being easy.

One links to one then to another. Connections basically, because beyond the magic, these are stories of love between man-woman, then that between parent-child, and that of bother to brother; all perfectly balanced out by them tangling with their enemies. It’s complicated as said… and I felt everything!  Because they’ve each their parts and circumstance had them acting outside it.. it’s what had me feeling the strongest. Out of character jealousies by plenty, sudden bravery by others, but the sudden fears by one… all had me reeling.

They've each have their part, but not sticking to it. Isaboe is still adored but she’s a pain that drives her toward something unexpected. Finnikin likewise, it’s his actions that infuriated me for one expect much more, that it’s when he’s doing what’s expected that elicits this feeling of ‘There’s the man I know, adore.’ And I adored the people in here, Quintana especially. She’s different from the rest, with a coolness to her, that’s fierce as well. But throw Froi into the mix? And, this is me declaring my love for the pair. I loved each moment with them, individually then and as a pair. How there’s so much in Quintana and then in Froi too. They’ve surpassed all my expectations because where she’s terrifying and fierce then strong and sure, so is he. Except, it’s when they’re not those things that surprised me more because it’s also what’s made me love them more.

Marchetta’s strength is not in focusing on just one or two of these people. She builds them up for us, paints this clear picture of who were dealing with and getting invested in, faults and all;  but makes things more complicated and emotion heavy by linking them to all those others, who’ve stories that are equally compelling. With Isaboe and Finnikin, then Phaedra and her Lu-cien, with them it's about connections and then about being sure, about loyalty, and about doing the right thing... the good thing. And yes, about
  Hope. Hope. Hope.
as well.

I loved this. I loved them…





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment