Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Unbreak My Heart by Melissa C. Walker

Unbreak My Heart
Good Reads Summary
Unbreak My Heart by Melissa C. Walker

Sophomore year broke Clementine Williams’ heart. She fell for her best friend’s boyfriend and long story short: he’s excused, but Clem is vilified and she heads into summer with zero social life.

Enter her parents’ plan to spend the summer on their sailboat. Normally the idea of being stuck on a tiny boat with her parents and little sister would make Clem break out in hives, but floating away sounds pretty good right now.

Then she meets James at one of their first stops along the river. He and his dad are sailing for the summer and he’s just the distraction Clem needs. Can he break down Clem’s walls and heal her broken heart?

Told in alternating chapters that chronicle the year that broke Clem’s heart and the summer that healed it, Unbreak My Heart is a wonderful dual love story that fans of Sarah Dessen, Deb Caletti, and Susane Colasanti will flock to.


My Thoughts My rating: 3 of 5 stars

“I wish I saw myself the way you see me.”
“It’s not the way I see you,” he says. “It’s the way you are.”


It’s moments like that is sticking to me right now. As you can probably already tell, UNBREAK MY HEART is mostly a sweet read… again mostly. A throwback to Sarah Dessen, if you will, with her young female leads in emotional upheaval plus  the boy who inevitably does some saving. I’m not knocking that formula either because it worked in this one.

Clementine is completely aware of when and why and how things have changed and she blames herself for it… not wrongly too, so a lot of what happens is her rehashing things and a little of it is her dreading what’s next, then a little more of it is her thinking of all that whilst spending summer on a boat with her family. Unsurprising is the fact that she’s heartbroken; more surprising is the cause of that.  So summer in exile and beating herself over things she can’t undo, it’s mostly sad, but at times could breach that limit and become over indulgent in the moping, and yet still everything made sense.

My favorite part of this all is the girl owning up to things, knowing precisely where things went wrong, and knowing her part in it. I also appreciate the added truth of her being angry, that she feels herself not just the wrong doer but sees herself a little on the wronged side as well. Because these are both are truths. Eventually add in that perpetually upbeat James  and you might agree with a Dessen parallel. He’s too good to be true, happy and artistic and goofy, and there when least expected; he doesn’t necessarily do the fixing, but may be you could say he starts it.

It’s an OK read… sweet and sad with a girl absolutely heartbroken over what she feels she’s lost.

2.5/5





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment