Wednesday, November 14, 2012

One Lonely Degree by C.K. Kelly Martin

One Lonely Degree
Good Reads Summary
One Lonely Degree by C.K. Kelly Martin

Anything is possible. . . .
Finn has always felt out of place, but suddenly her world is unraveling. It started with The Party. And Adam Porter. And the night in September that changed everything. The only person who knows about that night is Audrey—Finn’s best friend, her witness to everything, and the one person Finn trusts implicitly. So when Finn’s childhood friend Jersy moves back to town—reckless, beautiful Jersy, all lips and eyes and hair so soft you’d want to dip your fingers into it if you weren’t careful—Finn gives her blessing for Audrey to date him. How could she possibly say no to Audrey? With Audrey gone for the summer, though, Finn finds herself spending more and more time with Jersy, and for the first time in her life, something feels right. But Finn can’t be the girl who does this to her best friend . .. can she?


My Thoughts
My rating: 3.75 of 5 stars

The girl is Set apart. Intense. And yes, I’d even say lonely. More, having hard time with the changes going on. She’s an intense girl who feels everything deeply - too deeply. With all that in mind, things are not made easier with her needing only a few deep connections. So she has those: one deep connection with Audrey, the only person who knows most everything about her then, and another close(ish) relationship with her father. But when her hated “anything is possible” rears its head, things start shifting and it’s in these moments that we see more of her:

that she get’s in her own head;
that she feels even more;
and things can get too much (especially for her);
and later that she tries to do the right thing…even if it’s the hard thing.

For me this was better than MARTIN’s first book that I read because where that had death and grief and a star (well, not really); this one’s more about a girl and things changing, coming to grips with what can’t be changed and just letting things go the way they’re going. And Finn being such a control freak, you can imagine just how hard things could get for her! Then again, perhaps that’s the common thread between these two books that has me so impressed; there’s a coming to grips and an acceptance of things for what they are and (trying to) move on.

So, things got Slow. Soft. Sad. The girl’s emotions are laid out for us to wade through. With Finn it’s all about being set apart and different, as such all her emotions come out stronger. And for the most part, almost nothing really big happens, but by its end everything’s changed! Her introduction that you can’t really pinpoint the exact moment of change, is true… but I witnessed everything she felt as things progressed, so that even when I couldn’t quite agree with what’s going on or with her choices, I still came away knowing her. Why? Because it’s all based on what she was feeling at the moment.  And you’d think things would get boring with all the girl’s asides on what she was feeling given all that’s going on and the people in it, but it didn’t! She drew me in and had me feeling for/with her. She leads an almost insulated day to day perhaps because she does feel so intensely, and though she seems so alone, and at first glance lonely, may be she was not? Or maybe she was?  My point is I felt things here… and though it reads contradictory: at first nothing actually happens but in the end everything’s changed.









View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. C.K. Kelly Martin's one of my favorite writers, and this was the second book of hers that I read, too! I actually found an ARC of this book at Goodwill last year. I fell in love with Finn, and I felt the same by the end of this.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete