Friday, November 23, 2012

Ten Days of Perfect by Andrea Randall

 
Ten Days of Perfect (November Blue, #1)
Good Reads Summary
Ten Days of Perfect by Andrea Randall

This is the first book in the November Blue series.

Scars from her first love and the reckless lifestyle of her parents force Ember Harris to chart a new course. She favors practicality over spontaneity and rules over a broken heart.

An encounter with a musician at a local pub forces Ember into making a decision to let go or hold on for dear life as passions are unlocked and deceptions revealed.


My Thoughts
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Thank the gods that’s over…

Like any other girl, I enjoy a good romance, the key being “good.” I don’t mind sappy, I don’t mind the corny. I don’t even mind the over the top declarations of love (sometimes) … but when all that’s found in one book- repeatedly mind you- well, you all should have been present to hear my absolute cheer of delight at having finally turned that last page! This book with its host of characters, each a little too closely connected to their emotional sides HAD ME CRINGING and then HAD ME QUESTIONING what the hell was going on.

I’m all about emotion… unless things start feeling forced and contrived. So the girl is in love? So the girl is torn over choosing between this or that? I DIDN’T CARE because all her musings revealed there was not much there to begin with (Princeton, my ass.)  She’d cry at the drop of hat… and so did the guy! Then there’s the more obvious things of us witnessing the same girl go from hot then cold then hot then scared then soul shattering in love (that same phrase may or may not have been used in this one) all in a span of TEN (PERFECT) DAYS!

Yet, for all those over the top moments in this one, I kept at it. Why though? When early on, I’d already felt that it was either going to be too sweet loaded to the limit with words of love or too angsty (unnecessary) drama? Honestly I don’t know… I wanted to see if there'd be any thing other than those over the top declarations/descriptions. I hoped in vain because it was bam bam bam, one after another here, folks! I may even be slightly impressed by how over the top and too romantic (read cheese galore) things got or not:

“It wasn’t my body he was trying to please- it was my spirit, my soul, my core.” ~Ambitious, I like it.

“Bo said that when he first sang with you, and looked into your eyes, it was like he was able to feel everything you’ve ever felt. He said his soul thumped inside of him and it felt like he’d known you and loved you a thousand times.” ~His soul thumped!

“I’ve never felt like this with anyone. Not just physically either. You’ve burrowed deep in my soul.” ~‘Burrowed’ sounds painful.

“You’re crying because of how you feel about me?” ~Wouldn’t you do so, too… with something burrowing inside of you?!

“You’ve shocked my soul to life…” ~This is sounding more and more painful.
[“It wasn’t my body he was trying to please- it was my spirit, my soul, my core.” Ambitious, I like it.
“Bo said that when he first sang with you, and looked into your eyes, it was like he was able to feel everything you’ve ever felt. He said his soul thumped inside of him and it felt like he’d known you and loved you a thousand times.” His soul thumped!

“I’ve never felt like this with anyone. Not just physically either. You’ve burrowed deep in my soul.” ‘Burrowed’ sounds painful.

“You’re crying because of how you feel about me?” Wouldn’t you do so, too… with something burrowing inside of you?!

“You’ve shocked my soul to life…” This is sounding more and more painful.
(hide spoiler)]

Except my personal favorites were moments that made absolutely no sense to me:

“If square had a taste, it was his jaw. If clouds had a touch, they were his lips. I~ mean, come on! I can’t be alone on my feelings on this one… !

“A lacy black corset tightened around my throat with a wide satin bow. My eyes tripled in size, as if they were trying to hear what he’d said.” ~Seriously, what do you mean?

And once again I wonder, why do I do this to myself? 
Forgive me, my brain.





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment