Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Why I love YA...

So WHY, indeed?


My love for YA's going on three years now. I’m a contrary creature so that while I may love one thing in one story,I might loathe the very same things in another... but the thing that connects those stories together are the emotions that they bring out in me.

Where She Went (If I Stay, #2) 
The Boyfriend List: 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs and Me, Ruby Oliver (Ruby Oliver, #1)
Early 2011, my heart, my brain, my everything’s beat hard by two very different books WHERE SHE WENT and BETWEEN SHADES OF GRAY. Truth be told I was on an emotion-heavy book reading spree then and it was good because I felt all these things!

Flash forward a couple of months on and it’s all these funny lighter contemporaries that were rocking my boat. Those road trip stories, those (semi) smart leads and funny groups had my side in stitches all because Ruby Oliver or Norah or *insert any John Green or Rachel Cohn lead here* had stated something hilarious. (To this day I still recall the very moment I read WGwg’s opening line of ‘You can pick your friends. you can pick your nose… but you can’t pick your fiend’s nosesor something like that.) 

This is Not a TestThen there was that whole period when I couldn’t get enough of the dystopian/ post apoc/survivalist thing that’s all the rage. Though that’s not completely accurate as it was something of this genre ~THE HUNGER GAMES that got me on this YA loving train to begin with! It’s in these last kinds of books that me being intrigued came out, intrigued by the (im)possibility of it all. I mean READY PLAYER ONE isn’t strictly YA but with the young(ish) protagonist and the set up he’s in… things did get out of this world.

Yet out of this world as those books were, it’s the fantasy/magical/historical stuff that I’ve been rediscovering that’s resonated the most with me of late. Take the Wicked and the Just, then Eugenedis in The Thief, and later Sorcha in Daughter of the Forest, and most recently Marchetta’s Froi and his Quintanna… all these despite being so far removed from my reality, tore me apart… ugh, all the feels!

The King of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #3)And that’s how I sum up my love for YA… that is to say: I can’t! I mean not without being all over the place about it. With the many, many emotions that books of this type get out of me that even the one’s I don’t love have me feeling something become worth the effort. Truthfully, I don’t LOVE all the books I come across.. sometimes my negativity even surprises me! But the simple fact is I feel something. I sympathize with the people I read, I am confused, intrigued by them… and everything else that takes place between the covers a book. Do I say I love YA because you can experience all these things in ashort while? Sometimes, it can be just that (and that’s not necessarily a bad thing. See Zarr’s Story of a Girl) but more it’s how almost all the people in these stories reflect a bit of the real. They feel. And I do.

So going on three years and sometimes growing weary of overused clichés, there’s still always something somewhere that’s different/new, in the writing, in the story, or in the characters themselves that have me picking up the next one. Because let’s be honest here,  not all YA’s “Awesome epic wonderful wowza!”, but the one’s that are make reading all the effort worth it.


 ***

So you all may be wondering why the sudden declaration of my love for YA. Simple really (and exciting too!) Beth Revis is holding this contest for a whole library of YA books... and though it's US only, a friend of mine's kindly agreed to help me out on that end... so I signed up! You guys should as well. Check it out @



No comments:

Post a Comment