Monday, December 10, 2012

Troy High by Shana Norris

Troy High
Good Reads Summary
Troy High by Shana Norris

Homer’s Iliad, the classic tale of love and revenge, is shrewdly retold for teens in Troy High.

Narrated by Cassie, a shy outsider who fears that an epic high school rivalry is about to go up in flames, the story follows the Trojans and Spartans as they declare war on the football field. After the beautiful Elena–who used to be the captain of the Spartan cheerleaders–transfers to Troy High and falls madly in love with Cassie’s brother Perry, the Spartans vow that the annual homecoming game will never be forgotten.

The Trojans and Spartans pull wicked pranks on each other as homecoming approaches. And the Spartans’ wildcard football star, Ackley, promises to take down the Trojans’ offensive line. But the stakes are raised when Cassie is forced to choose between the boy she loves (a Spartan) and loyalty to her family and school. Troy High will seduce readers with its incendiary cast of mythic proportions


My Thoughts
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I was looking for something silly and funny instead I all I got was something silly. Kidding!

Or am I?

My main problem is that I went into TROY HIGH expecting one of those high school rom coms, shenanigan filled and even more cutesy young love moments. A fat lot my expectation served me. Because I did get all I was wanting just not up to the quality I was wanting. And the shenanigans, there were plenty: with one high school set pranking the other one and hiking up the gravity with each thing done. They weren’t even creative pranks at that! So numero uno issue: Not as many laughs as I was hoping for.

For what it is ~a youngish romance with a girl making mountains out of mole hills~ it was OK. Just OK, though because Cassie wasn’t the only one acting like a drama queen. Perhaps because she’s the most level headed when considering there’s a whole school filled with mountain-from-mole-hill making people! No, make that two schools filled to the brim with such mountain makers! And it should have been funny, but it wasn’t.

I liked the whole bestie and ‘he loves me, he loves me not’ thing she had going for her mainly because things got so painfully awkward. But the other young love bit of ‘Oh! The popular cute jock boy is hot and squee… is he looking my way?’ that seemed to fill the minds of most others here was, oh god, cringe worthy if it was anything else.

I will say this: this was quick read… it could have been funnier, though.

2/5
Seriously though, I need something funny… ala Green’s Katherines.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment