Thursday, January 31, 2013

Altered (Altered, #1) by Jennifer Rush

Altered (Altered, #1)
Good Reads Summary
Altered by Jennifer Rush

When you can’t trust yourself, who can you believe?

Everything about Anna’s life is a secret. Her father works for the Branch at the helm of its latest project: monitoring and administering treatments to the four genetically altered boys in the lab below their farmhouse. There’s Nick, Cas, Trev . . . and Sam, who’s stolen Anna’s heart. When the Branch decides it’s time to take the boys, Sam stages an escape, killing the agents sent to retrieve them.

Anna is torn between following Sam or staying behind in the safety of her everyday life. But her father pushes her to flee, making Sam promise to keep her away from the Branch, at all costs. There’s just one problem. Sam and the boys don’t remember anything before living in the lab—not even their true identities.

Now on the run, Anna soon discovers that she and Sam are connected in more ways than either of them expected. And if they’re both going to survive, they must piece together the clues of their past before the Branch catches up to them and steals it all away.


My Thoughts
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

I’m still trying to get a clear picture of the time and age and the obvious gap there between the characters… but that’s about all I can complain of in this one. ALTERED was an entertaining read, different in the same the same way that PARTIALS and Krokos’ LOST MEMORY were different. Wait, does that mean it’s not that different after all? Ye… ergh, does it matter? I was thoroughly entertained by them and the set up… even if there were gaping holes that had me wondering about things just like all the leads were in this one (and this was even after they’d pieced things for themselves.)

Picture this: all those YA hot brother team ups, mix in some lost memory in the same vein as Jason Bourne’s only here it’s times four and they’re younger (I assume.) then even more interesting: skills unexpected coming making themselves known at the most convenient of time! That last bit might have you think me being so-over-this since everything I’ve mentioned so far, have been tackled at one point or another, either separately or all together in some fashion. Yet, surprise!  I hooked me in.

Eunice’s Merrick comparison was what got me to push this up because the cover alone was doing nothing for me. It’s a little too much like the opening credits of a TV show I refuse to admit having salivated over even when said show got cheesy. I also refuse to comment over the striking resemblance between the cover model and the aforesaid TV show's smoking hot alpha lead, either. See? I refuse. I refuse. I refuse. But really… beyond the hot boys and the mysterious air going on for him and the rest of them, the story itself was not badly done. (at least when it counted.) 

She’s goody-goody but with a pinch of rule breaker in her: doing most everything right unless we discount this little thing she does on her own time. She’s interesting I suppose, but all alone without the rest of the guys in the picture there’s really not that much to her: girl missing her mommy, feeling that lack more clearly with a father who’s not as present as she’d want. Then take things up a notch and have her be girl in love with boy of unknown dark past variety Unknown... and there’s the kicker. See, with him in the picture, we were getting somewhere.

As subject of her desire, you’d think she’d wax poetic about his attributes… but see, there’s not that much to wax on about. There’s really next to nothing known! And that’s fine too as each thing she discovers was truly a discovery for all parties involved.  I really liked that aspect of the story. Well, that as well as the fact that the hot boy team up in this one was so complete in a way that there’s one of every kind you might fancy: a hot one, a surly one, a sweet/smart one and a funny one. I was happy with that… ‘til I realized things were feeling more and more like an introduction. We know so much about one of them and next to nothing about the rest, a fact I’m hoping will be remedied by follow ups for the other boys, yes? 

Anyhoot.. I liked the hot boy team up and her as plus one, because there’s this obvious connection that’s more than you think. In fact, there’s a lot of “more than you think’s” in this one.  With the next reveal feeling bigger than what had preceded it. Then those face offs and the gun battles, all very cool in execution evidence by me having some serious Matt Damon as Jason Bourne flashbacks as I was reading.

Bottom line? This was Fun!





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment