Thursday, March 14, 2013

Another Little Piece by Kate Karyus Quinn

Another Little Piece
Good Reads Summary
Another Little Piece by Kate Karyus Quinn

The spine-tingling horror of Stephen King meets an eerie mystery worthy of Sara Shepard's Pretty Little Liars series in Kate Karyus Quinn's haunting debut.

On a cool autumn night, Annaliese Rose Gordon stumbled out of the woods and into a high school party. She was screaming. Drenched in blood. Then she vanished.

A year later, Annaliese is found wandering down a road hundreds of miles away. She doesn't know who she is. She doesn't know how she got there. She only knows one thing: She is not the real Annaliese Rose Gordon.

Now Annaliese is haunted by strange visions and broken memories. Memories of a reckless, desperate wish . . . a bloody razor . . . and the faces of other girls who disappeared. Piece by piece, Annaliese's fractured memories come together to reveal a violent, endless cycle that she will never escape—unless she can unlock the twisted secrets of her past.


My Thoughts
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Mother of Mike! What did I just read?! The confusion! Slipping from one point of view to the next then not knowing who’s talking about what just egged me on instead of frustrating me. Especially when whole stretches of said confusion were punctuated by something terrible (Pink sneakers, I will never think of you the same way again.)

I’m not kidding when I said this was no RIVER FLOWS IN YOU read. IT was paying in the background all smooth, mellow, and never failing to get a tear from me. (the feels because of that song!)  But this one? Nope. Definitely, not any of those. It’s dark. Then it’s darker. Plus it’s confusing. 

Yet lo! I was sucked in. It opens with her walking along a road not knowing who she is, taken in then talking to the police. Things get more confusion as we meet “the dad” then “the mom” then all these other people who knew her from before, a boy like Logan, then a boy like Dex, then girl like Gwen… all painting her to be not the popular kid, but not the unpopular kid either.

And just when I thought I had a handle on who’s playing what, I'd be wrong. Because flashbacks and maybe memories of hers (maybe not hers) popped in. A host of memories that explain what may have come to pass, of how there’s this thing in her... and that she isn’t just Annaliese Rose Gordon, or worse, that maybe she’s not Annaliese Rose Gordon, after all. 

I liked it because just when things were falling into place, they didn't fall quite right so that I was scrambling to figure out if what I read was what I'd just read and if I was imagining things right. I also liked how she’s not the only odd here. Dex has his own brand of specialness that made it easy to see what she saw because the guy is sweet but equally damaged. It’s just for him, he knew his damage. Then those midnight road trips and scary people to confront then scarier people to return to? Interesting but I must confusing, too. The Physician bit especially, with the lack of information on who he was and all those other elements that had me wanting/needing more but aware that I was likely not to get those answers. A lot like the cigarette smoking guy in X-Files, you know his there but don’t know why his there. Yes, the Physician  is very much like that.

I liked this, confusion and all.
Thank you, Edelweiss!




3.5



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment