Thursday, April 11, 2013

Breathless by Brigid Kemmerer

Breathless (Elemental, #2.5)
Good Reads Summary
Breathless by Brigid Kemmerer

Nick Merrick is supposed to be the level-headed one. The peacemaker. Since it’s just him and his three hotheaded brothers against the world, that’s a survival tactic.

But now he’s got problems even his brothers can’t help him survive.

His so-called girlfriend, Quinn, is going quick as mercury from daring to crazy. Meanwhile, Quinn’s dancer friend Adam is throwing Nick off balance, forcing him to recognize a truth he’d rather shove back into the dark.

He can feel it—-the atmosphere is sizzling. Danger is on the way. But whatever happens next, Nick is starting to find out that sometimes nothing you do can keep the peace.


My Thoughts
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

How unexpected! But just like the other Elemental books, it’s fun exciting and fast… but also not the typical Merrick drama I’ve come to expect. I confess:  I’m not up to date on whether Nick gets his own novel, but if like Hunter this novella is but a peek into the trouble he’s going to get into, then that book needs to get here now.

There’s not much to say though, and I always find it difficult to lay down what I liked/disliked, considering this is novella, you know? They’re always almost too short for the effort, but what’s here’s got me excited for the full lengths to follow.  I didn’t think Nick had it in him to be different. Recall that his the good guy in a family of too hot too handle brothers all with a special speshulness that’s not based on them being hotties (OK, not just based on the being hotties).

Nick’s drama veers away from the earlier ‘What would momma say/ poppa do/ I miss them oh so much’ or the headaches of boys getting into it over girls with mysterious circumstance.  And I liked it… even particularly as it’s made clear that the Merrick boys aren’t the only hot heads to contend with because if the Merrick boys already have sucky circumstances to get over, there’s still others worse off… i.e. Quinn, who’s interesting in her own way. Sucky family contest, we have a winner!

Then Adam… hmmm… interesting.

Thank you Netgalley!




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment