Sunday, April 21, 2013

The Chaos of Stars by Kiersten White

The Chaos of Stars
Good Reads Summary
The Chaos of Stars by Kiersten White

Isadora’s family is seriously screwed up.

Of course, as the human daughter of Egyptian gods, that pretty much comes with the territory. She’s also stuck with parents who barely notice her, and a house full of relatives who can’t be bothered to remember her name. After all, they are going to be around forever—and she’s a mere mortal.

Isadora’s sick of living a life where she’s only worthy of a passing glance, and when she has the chance to move to San Diego with her brother, she jumps on it. But Isadora’s quickly finding that a “normal” life comes with plenty of its own epic complications—and that there’s no such thing as a clean break when it comes to family. Much as she wants to leave her past behind, she can’t shake the ominous dreams that foretell destruction for her entire family. When it turns out there may be truth in her nightmares, Isadora has to decide whether she can abandon her divine heritage after all.


My Thoughts
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

I liked the bouncy fun feel you get care of the protagonist that's like White's other leads. Those leads are capable of (sometimes) smart observations framed in way that had me laughing despite the drama of the moment.

Plus the surprising adorbs moments between her as new girl in new world with guy who's to hot to be real. But really I liked them and how he's over confident even without meaning to and how she's mean in the intentional way, knocking him down a peg or two (or ten.)

Oh and... awesome covers are awesome, yes?

But there's the whole Egyptian gods thing... I've no big issue on this end as I started this knowing absolutely nothing about that aspect of the story... (unless Brendan Fraser movies count?) But were we to take the whole god thing away from this, there's actually not that much that's new in this. Instead, we have (a.) new girl thing and (b.) the feeling unloved thing.

Sure, I liked Isadora, even more I enjoyed what she had to say and how she had to say it. But I do think the darker aspects could have been darker. Perhaps more of the mythology could have been worked into everything, instead of feeling like a backdrop to what was going on but... but yes, I had fun... precisely what I was looking for when I picked this up.

Conceptually, it's pretty original. What with gods and their children and the outcome of that all thrown in, right? Except you don't get as much as you think you're going to... but at least it was fun/funny when it counted.

Much thanks, Edelweiss!
3.5/5




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment