Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Fire with Fire (Burn for Burn, #2) by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian

Fire with Fire (Burn for Burn, #2)
Good Reads Summary
Fire with Fire by Jenny Han

When sweet revenge turns sour… Book two of a trilogy from New York Times, bestselling author Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian.

Lillia, Kat, and Mary had the perfect plan. Work together in secret to take down the people who wronged them. But things didn’t exactly go the way they’d hoped at the Homecoming Dance.

Not even close.

For now, it looks like they got away with it. All they have to do is move on and pick up the pieces, forget there ever was a pact. But it’s not easy, not when Reeve is still a total jerk and Rennie’s meaner than she ever was before.

And then there’s sweet little Mary…she knows there’s something seriously wrong with her. If she can’t control her anger, she’s sure that someone will get hurt even worse than Reeve was. Mary understands now that it’s not just that Reeve bullied her—it’s that he made her love him.

Eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth, burn for a burn. A broken heart for a broken heart. The girls are up to the task. They’ll make Reeve fall in love with Lillia and then they will crush him. It’s the only way he’ll learn.

It seems once a fire is lit, the only thing you can do is let it burn...


My Thoughts
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Fire with Fire was… Wow (the last three or so chapters especially). The girls are back, scheming and cunning as always but lacking in something… perhaps not as feisty, maybe? Tough girl isn’t as tough; Ms. Popularity isn’t as desperate to be what she thought she had to be; and Mary well she’s still Mary after all. 

There’s a lot of guilt going around coupled with unsaid feelings. Then there the more tender sort of feelings that crop up out of nowhere. Protective for one, unexpectedly drawn to another.. you know, those sort of stuff. Bonus is that paranormal feel the last book ended with, that ending that had me on the edge? This sequel’s not lost it, but neither is this solely focused on it. Thank God. In this are girls being girls: sometimes scary, sometimes sweet… a lot of the times confusing. And just when I though I had a handle on things and the new dynamics amongst all of them… I’d realized that nothing was actually clear! Plus the last moments in this had me almost dropping my kindle. And I’m still wondering WTF happened.

So, there are mean girl moments and scarier BFF’s but not quite moments, too. I wanted to strangle some of them. Lilia is trying to do the right thing for the three of them. Kat, the Tough girl is tough but proves she’s more than that: there’s heart in her too. We see it with each memory she has of her mother, with each moment she shares with her family as well as with each moment she’s thinking about the two other girls. It’s Mary who had me most frustrated though, swinging from one end of the spectrum to the other of I hate him to I love him. I simply never knew what she as going to say.

Back to Lillia, dear me, but she’s the Island’s little Princess, isn’t she? except she’s incapable of seeing herself that way. Yet, with two boys panting after her because she’s perfect: beautiful, popular rich, yet I still don’t get it. Because I couldn’t stand her. Then again, I am not meant to love any of them am I? They’re all three of them wrapped up in the wrongs they’ve been dealt with. So that maybe I’m to pity one or two or all three of them? Perhaps I’m even to be fearful of what they’ve got planned. And I did feel all of that... but they also frustrated me. There’s no forward moment for any of them, as their all three, stuck in the past. Sure, there’s talk of what we do after this and college and what not but in the mean time… their world was feeling smaller and smaller, Mary’s especially. One would think that the plotting and scheming over with given the out come of the last book, but noooo, not at all. By that point, I wanted to shake some sense into all of them… get over it, get over yourselves and move on already. Needlessly said, that is not what happens.

I’m confused though. Is Mary what I think she is? Then WTH folks! There’s a Reeve and her moment, right? Right? And then there’s that Halloween boy, too. I am so utterly confused. I feel like I should reread this just to get the facts straight, but right now? Right now I’m savoring this ‘What? What? WTH did I just read?’ shocked feeling I’ve got. I do love me some unexpected twists and this sequel has it… in spades.

THANK YOU, EDELWEISS!
3.5/5






View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment