Wednesday, June 12, 2013

All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill

All Our YesterdaysGood Reads Summary
All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill

"You have to kill him." Imprisoned in the heart of a secret military base, Em has nothing except the voice of the boy in the cell next door and the list of instructions she finds taped inside the drain.

Only Em can complete the final instruction. She’s tried everything to prevent the creation of a time machine that will tear the world apart. She holds the proof: a list she has never seen before, written in her own hand. Each failed attempt in the past has led her to the same terrible present—imprisoned and tortured by a sadistic man called the doctor while war rages outside.

Marina has loved her best friend James since the day he moved next door when they were children. A gorgeous, introverted science prodigy from one of America’s most famous families, James finally seems to be seeing Marina in a new way, too. But on one disastrous night, James’s life crumbles apart, and with it, Marina’s hopes for their future. Now someone is trying to kill him. Marina will protect James, no matter what. Even if it means opening her eyes to a truth so terrible that she may not survive it. At least not as the girl she once was.

All Our Yesterdays is a wrenching, brilliantly plotted story of fierce love, unthinkable sacrifice, and the infinite implications of our every choice.


My Thoughts
My rating: 4 of 5 stars



The blurb hints at it and you can likely predict who is who and how they all connect, but in the meantime? This book was everything awesome.

I want to use some other word than love, but frankly it’s what I’m feeling right now. I love that we’re dropped right into the thick of things. I also love how there are two sides being told at once and I also love how we see things collide. But I love love love how you think one person is one thing only to find something different, like girl-insecure turns out to be more. Or that being the good guy with good intentions sometimes isn’t enough.

Mostly, I love how it’s so action packed with one thing then another thing then yet another thing happening. It’s a movie in your head, people. I feel that the effect that Tempest was trying to attain is what ALL OUR YESTERDAY has accomplished. But where the former got side tracked by the love story, this one deals with everything else. Why? Perhaps because the love story’s already been dealt with, rather here they’ve moved on (hell, made a mad dash) toward the meatier bits that me excited then excited some more.

So, we’re plopped in the thick of it, right? The background is not that clear but we get the gist of it. How they’re on a mission to settle things before things need settling. We hardly see the big and bad looming behind them, but we know it’s there. We barely deal with the in’s and out’s of the time travel, either. Yet despite that lack in detail, this was a damned fine. Details like those were extra (lovely extra’s, mind you) to the action punch.punch.punch going on here. it’s crazy how fast things were going , and each time I thought THE THING was going to happen… well:



It got me excited, frustrated then excited again…and sometimes gloat-y each time a hunch proved right. (and while there many instances of the last , would I consider this book predictable? Hell no.) Over all, I’m impressed with it’s a different take on something you think is old hat. Time travel. Yes. Big bad police state? That too, but none of that’s the focus. It’s about doing the right thing before said decision needs be made. Also, the way the way the story is told impressed. How we’ve two sets to contend with AND THEN how these two sets collide (because collide they do). Mainly it’s how they collide and the before the same that had my heart racing and has me currently all a-grin.

Much thanks to DIANNE @ Oops! I Read A Book Again! for lending me her ARC!




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment