Friday, June 14, 2013

Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2) by Sarah J. Maas

Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)
Good Reads Summary
Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas

An assassin’s loyalties are always in doubt.
But her heart never wavers.


After a year of hard labor in the Salt Mines of Endovier, eighteen-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien has won the king's contest to become the new royal assassin. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown – a secret she hides from even her most intimate confidantes.

Keeping up the deadly charade—while pretending to do the king's bidding—will test her in frightening new ways, especially when she's given a task that could jeopardize everything she's come to care for. And there are far more dangerous forces gathering on the horizon -- forces that threaten to destroy her entire world, and will surely force Celaena to make a choice.

Where do the assassin’s loyalties lie, and who is she most willing to fight for?


My Thoughts
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Man, I wanted to love this sequel. Truly, I did... except there were two major problems for me here.

(A.) The first half left a lot desired with it dragging on and on with the longing glances that one or two of them was throwing at her or that she was throwing at one of them. All I really wanted was some kick ass moment of her going all stealth assassin on someone. Yet while there was some of that, there were unexpected odd moments of her acting out character. Her love of shopping! Her love of chocolate! Egh? Don’t get me wrong… it made her more than the simple killer scary assassin, but it felt unreal somehow, like quirky things little extras thrown just for kicks. (Plus I don’t recall all that from her in the first. Then again, I did read the first book, didn’t i?) Simply, I was waiting for some blood to be shed by her, but then there’s be one guy who’s all ‘He loves her and not me.’ Then she’d be all, ‘Who do I love, Who do I love?’

(B.) Just when I was about ready to give up, all these would-be-awesome things started taking place. The problem is  there were TOO MANY things  going on at once. So many in fact that it was hard to keep track of what the hell was taking place! One moment we’re with Dorian and his little discovery. Next were with the Kings’ Guard and how he’s finally sniffing out some truths. The next we’re with girl assassin and her killing/trailing/scheming/ or doing whatever girl assassins do. Then the next were with princess BFF who’s got secrets yup the wazoo! Instead of ‘WOAH, NO WAY!’ I was LOST. Too many things taking place all at once take away from the impact of what one or even just two of those things could have had.

That said, the very final bits of this were pretty good. The threads finally pulling together... and when she finally made her big reveal, well…it got me excited again.

THANK YOU, M!




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment