Monday, June 24, 2013

Haze by Paula Weston

Haze (The Rephaim, #2)
Good Reads Summary
Haze by Paula Weston

"But what if we can’t find Jude?"
He leans closer. His breath is warm on my ear. "We will."
"How can you be so sure?" I want to believe him so badly, but this is Rafa. The guy who’s all action and no plan. His smile is tired, knowing. An echo of a shared past I don’t remember.
"Because I’m not smart enough to give up, and you don’t know how to."

Gaby Winters’ nightmares have stopped but she still can’t remember her old life. Still can’t quite believe she is one of the Rephaim—the wingless half-angels who can shift from place to place, country to country, in the blink of an eye. That she was once the Rephaim’s best fighter. That demons exist. That Rafa has stayed.

But most of all, she can’t quite believe that her twin brother, Jude, might be alive.

And Gaby can’t explain the hesitancy that sidetracks the search for him, infuriates Rafa, and sends them, again, into the darkest danger


My Thoughts
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

So I’m split once again, loving how we have more of Rafa, how hot then cold then hot he could get, (almost like Barrons of the  Fever fame.) But this book suffers what plenty follow ups do: there’s nothing really happening in this one. Could this have been a novella? Perhaps, as the bulk of the changes take place at the tail end and prior that, it’s all about how Gaby’s confused and conflicted (but not to the same degree as she was in Shadows.)

The question then becomes do the good bits compensate for what it lacks? Rafa fans would say YES; I say, not quite. Specifically, I would have loved a bit more action-sequency moments. I would have loved a bit more of something That said, we do get tons of background on the who’s, the what’s, and even the how’s. Plus, the big surprises close to the end? Big they were. Now, haters of cliffies, you may loathe this one… personally, it was a great ending… how with one thing resolved, we’ve another thing to contend with.

And this thing between the two leads… I’m split on that end too! Because with no one saying anything that’s real, I’ve come up with ALL KINDs of theories to explain why they were and why Rafa is the way he is. O.o My brain has taken me place, is all I’m saying.

The good:
>Rafa.
>Rafa
>Way awesome cliffy!

The bad:
>Cliffy! (Because I’m contrary like that.)
>Nothing much goes, that is till we get to the very last couple of chapters.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment