Sunday, June 2, 2013

Our Song by Jordanna Fraiberg

Our Song
Good Reads Summary
Our Song by Jordanna Fraiberg

Olive Bell has spent her entire life in the beautiful suburb of Vista Valley, with a picture-perfect home, a loving family, and a seemingly perfect boyfriend. But after a near-fatal car accident, she’s haunted by a broken heart and a melody that she cannot place.

Then Olive meets Nick. He’s dark, handsome, mysterious . . . and Olive feels connected to him in a way she can’t explain. Is there such a thing as fate? The two embark on a whirlwind romance—until Nick makes a troubling confession.

Heartbroken, Olive pieces together what really happened the night of her accident and arrives at a startling revelation. Only by facing the truth can she uncover the mystery behind the song and the power of what it means to love someone.


My Thoughts
My rating: 2 of 5 stars


I am amazed, I tell you. Considering the number of times I wanted to call it quits over a lead who’s such a drag about herself and how she perceives others, I am truly amazed that I got passed all those little things that bugged me about her to finish this.

And it’s not really all that bad, too.Yes, maybe it is a bit too preachy and all claim yourself, boys suck, and be yourself, plus the rah-rah-rahing  for her by her BFF, (who, by the way, was just so typically YA-BFF-y  for various reasons, for my liking. All confident and out there, everything that our girl-lead was, of course… not.)  And yes, maybe even said girl-lead was a bit too teenage typical in the ‘my mama doesn’t get it department.’ And yes, maybe it’s a bit too cutesy-but that’s been done before with the precocious little sibling easing her otherwise terribly depressing existence. But it wasn’t all terribly bad… simply ‘meh,’ you know?

Of course, when she wasn’t meh, good God could she be infuriating! So, yes I have amazed myself in finishing this. And if I can get passed how little she thinks of herself, passed how bitchy she could get, passed how all about the boy she was, passed all that and get to the good bits of her seeing herself, realizing she’s a friend that mattered, and seeing her family for what they’re worth, well so can you.

I think it’s how she labeled herself that infuriated me the most, but things did change… to the point where she considers herself more than just ‘Girlfriend’ and that owns the truth that she go could outside the box others had put her in (that she’d put herself in?) Anyway, so what if said change was brought out because of another boy? So what if I felt like she was reverting to what she was (that is, a girl all about the boy)? OK. So, maybe I didn’t actually love OUR SONG all that much, but the thing is: I didn’t hate it either.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment