Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Hazards of Skinny Dipping by Alyssa Rose Ivy

The Hazards of Skinny Dipping
Good Reads Summary
The Hazards of Skinny Dipping by Alyssa Rose Ivy

This isn't a deep book about first loves or self-discovery. If you want a book like that, I'd be happy to recommend one, but I don't have that kind of story to tell. Instead my story is about rash decisions and finding out that your dream guy is bad in bed. It's the story of when I finally went skinny dipping, and how my life was never the same again. Oh, and it's also the story of my freshman year of college and realizing Mr. Right might have been there all along.

My Thoughts
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

That it’s too aware of the times is my biggest problem with this one. How can I not feel thus with mentions of it not being a YA story despite it’s YA introduction (The Hazards of Skinny Dipping, right?) nor its funnier moments of a guy wanting to be the dom and the girl not wanting to be dominated. It’s aware of what’s popular and what’s out there. My feelings for this are the same when considering all those other books that poke fun at sparkly vampires and loves that consume.

The story itself is pretty straightforward: girl finally gets together with the guy she’s been pining after, when suddenly in the new place with these new folks, so many other options reveal themselves. But first, let’s consider the whole crew of men drooling over her. They all say she’s fiery/spunky/different or something of that variety, and to be fair she was all that. Except, you know, THREE men… or was it four? It’s so YA, more so as we consider that there’s really not that much to her… or to them, for that matter.

There’s added complication of the boys being brothers by blood or otherwise. Or the fact that one of the main contenders read absolutely perfect while the other read completely inappropriate. Really, were was the doubt at all? And she knew it too… how completely ‘lacking’ a certain someone was, though I have to say, it’s refreshing to encounter a dude who’s not ‘all that’. Then we get to Mr. Perfect, who read TOO GOOD in every aspect so much so that he bored me! No one was winning in this book for me! Where the girl was all fire and sass, the other guy a domineering and a no talent ass, the other guy was too much of a knight in shining armor for me (even the guy’s flaws felt like the right kind of flaws!)

I simply found myself wanting something to make them more than I’d pegged them.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment