Tuesday, July 23, 2013

After Hours by Cara McKenna... AKA: Not My Usual Type of Read :)

After HoursAfter Hours by Cara McKenna

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I think I’ve stumbled upon my first romatica… unless erotica can be sweet… then this would be the latter that: sweet-smut. Who knew domineering guy could have me singing a different tune, thinking him sweet? I was pleasantly surprised by that contrast. There, of course, is the sexy times here, some dirty, some sweet… the bulk of it steamy, but it’s the story that pushed things along here. It’s the story that had me flipping pages through the wee hours at night with barely four hours of sleep despite.

Why? The lead reads so normal! 28, sort of free, figuring out her place and feeling that if the place she’s at isn’t… then other things that might be open to her… or was she that? And then him~ he’s not so normal at all. Icy, piercing stares blab la bla, tough guy who wants want he wants and gets it except he’s not juts that as she eventually learns. It’s her trying to figure things out: herself, her life, him and if there was even a “them” at all that had her feeling more and more normal with each thought/ doubt/question of hers.

Those little internal monologues on her part, on what to say and what not to say, on what to do and what not to do? Funny because what he’d voice out he’d echo though not acknowledge: first him pegging her as scrappy to his touch, and her doing the same thing but feeling resentful for it. This is a different type of story that I didn’t expect to like as much as I do now. Not bad for the sexy times, but a great deal more interesting given the way she was with herself and then with him.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment