Thursday, July 25, 2013

Some Quiet Place by Kelsey Sutton

Some Quiet Place
Good Reads Summary
Some Quiet Place by Kelsey Sutton

I can’t weep. I can’t fear. I’ve grown talented at pretending.

Elizabeth Caldwell doesn’t feel emotions . . . she sees them. Longing, Shame, and Courage materialize around her classmates. Fury and Resentment appear in her dysfunctional home. They’ve all given up on Elizabeth because she doesn’t succumb to their touch. All, that is, save one—Fear. He’s intrigued by her, as desperate to understand the accident that changed Elizabeth’s life as she is herself.

Elizabeth and Fear both sense that the key to her past is hidden in the dream paintings she hides in the family barn. But a shadowy menace has begun to stalk her, and try as she might, Elizabeth can barely avoid the brutality of her life long enough to uncover the truth about herself. When it matters most, will she be able to rely on Fear to save her?(less)


My Thoughts
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

There’s a dream like feel to the story both in her present and her past. It left me feeling confused countless of times, so that now I feel like this could have been great had it not been so confusing but also feeling like it was an excellent read for the very same reason! The more I think on it the clearer it is that that its different vibe is its strength:

From Elements to Emotions and how they all play a part in her reality… a reality completely her own. What is she exactly? And why her almost easy acceptance of things? There’s that odd split again of her taking as fact the odd and out of this world and all that drew me but baffled me, had me wondering while plodding on. I say plodding on because point here were the same thing again and again and…  and there I was forcing myself to the next chapter at which point something odd for me but real for her would happen. There’d be Fear or Courage or Love or whatever else that made her life “different” so that I was half in, half out. Out, because it was so darned confusing, but IN, for the same reason. (Am I definition of contrary?)

So here we have this unreal dreamy quality in a present that had me doubting if she was saying what she was… and a past that’s dream-like as well, (but more nightmarish, really.) Still, I feel that all that could have been great, but things did get a bit much at times. Too much of the “different” and belief already stretched is pulled taut… except if I’m being really honest here: it wasn’t really the “different” that I had a problem with. It’s the brief foray into YA la-la land, of boy-meets-girl and what’s that? The sound of her woes being over. But it’s a brief stint… a blip really in this otherwise completely different feeling read. (OK… not really a blip if we consider how there’s someone key who avoids death-by-truck-crushing… echoing that scene from that other book that I don’t really want to compare this one to.)

Anyway, the different: first the creatures of her world, then the paintings that made no sense, then people of the ordinary, plus the more ordinary types of sadness: of a family that’s there, but not there (worse: not wanting to be there!) then the more ordinary bits of boy loves girl. Minus the last: this was pretty good… the girl especially is a breath of fresh air with all her why’s. Why me? What’s here? Why the attraction? She’s self-aware at times too self-aware in fact.

Reading this was an exercise, as each reveal turned things around; I was struggling to see what this or that stood for if they in fact did stand for anything… because the girl sometime was disconnected.. Yet I like that about her (at least, I think I do.) It’s all real for her, but not for the rest; her reality’s peopled by the natural but odd of Element and Emotion… of a different sort.

> Good stuff as it reads like a mix of what makes Rebecca Lim’s MERCY books so darned impressive and what had me confused but enthralled in ANOTHER LITTLE PIECE.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment