Thursday, August 22, 2013

Midnight Blue-Light Special by Seanan McGuire

Midnight Blue-Light Special (InCryptid, #2)Midnight Blue-Light Special by Seanan McGuire

My rating: 2.5-3 of 5 stars

MIDNIGHT BLUE-LIGHT SPECIAL. I never thought I’d feel this way, but I’m glad that this is over. And it started out with a bang too. Mananggal! The creepy creature myInang tormented us with when we were younger, accurately depicted and not changed up (too much.)I was pleasantly surprised by this bit of horror. Only things got glacial. Cold? Slow? How about both?

With one too many telling of the what and the who, I was bored waiting for something (anything, really!) to happen. Things EVENTUALLY picked up , except not by the one you’d expect. The shift in POV here was not a bad addition... only you could tell how closely related the two narrators were to each other because there’s IDENTITY in how they spoke and what they said. I almost couldn’t tell the difference…  (and for a little while at the start of the second POV’s I was actually unaware that narrators had shifted!)

It’s pretty dry too in the romance department… little has changed save a declaration that comes out of nowhere… but goes nowhere once made. I wanted to like this. I wanted to love very and her guy… but gods… nothing actually does happen. Unless of course, we count the bulk of information that I now possess for certain talking mice.

So, despite the SOLID start (seriously, a really solid start here), man it took forever for things to get going. And once things did get going, it’s not even on account of a certain kick-ass dancing cryptozoologost who makes it so. I’m still reading the rest though.





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment