Sunday, September 8, 2013

Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by April Genevieve Tucholke

Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (Between, #1)Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by April Genevieve Tucholke

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


The writing is the biggest positive here because without it, we’d have a whole lot of nothing happening to characters we’re all likely to have come across in a couple of books prior. Certain passages conjure very vivid images of an old house and odder-feeling occupants plus a guy with an old-worldly (other worldly?) appeal.

It’s a writing that intrigued and puzzled because what was she going on about? It’s the writing that had me overlooking discoveries that should have had the MC running the other way. It’s the writing that had me swallowing each moment of friends not being friends; her connections to them made little sense to me, yet despite all these I was sucked in.

Still when the nothing was over, and something was finallyhappening, what we got:  a variation of same old-same old of the new guy - odd girl combination equals odd happenings that start up with the former so obviously involved (somehow.) Still, I continued. Mainly, it was all those odd –supposedly scary- occurrences that made for a different read: odd because things didn’t get scary instead became confusing in an Alice in Wonderland way (except, confession time: that cat and its grin still is the stuff of my nightmares.) Sooo… there’s a combination of things here that kept at me… what those are, I still can’t say.

Perhaps, it’s how there’s an ordinary feel to all the events as told from the girl's POV despite the carefully chosen words and specific phrasing in every other moment? It really all should have been a bit more terrifying. It should all have driven her to do something… and it did, eventually; but in the meant time, we simply had a girl puzzling over why she’s feeling the why she was. And there I was with her.

So, again, why the love? The writing lays out events that felt half unreal and then later too real with the details. I mean nothing’s happening and when something was happening I disagreed… yet, each bit depicted had me coming away with a shadow of what I felt with Dark Side and Children of… (and yup, Alice, too.) This book and those just mentioned have scary odd scenes that could scare me shitless when I was younger, but don’t have not quite the same effect now.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment