Friday, September 13, 2013

Hurt by Tabitha Suzuma

HurtHurt by Tabitha Suzuma

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


I’m struggling to separate HURT from her FORBIDDEN, but it’s hard especially since a good bulk of this felt similar, yet sadly, not once as "big" in impact the latter. It’s a shadow of the first, I suppose. There’s also a touchy subject that I wasn’t quite sure I wanted revealed, yet it’s a reveal that had me thinking so many things: Did he do it? He did what? Was it bad? Then feeling like it was probably something bad… or not because I just wasn’t sure. Eventually, I’d switch to my more a more controlled voice in my head feeling like maybe it wasn’t that big a deal. 

Yet with each moment of him falling apart with the reason still unclear, I confess, I felt myself getting less and less interested. Truth: I was never really invested in this. My need to know waned with each on-off moment he had. First all normal, then all broken, then back again… it lost me along the way so that I was simply clicking for the next portion:

Perhaps because of the poor little rich boy’s got problems feel that I thought the story was going with. Only the reveals- and there were two major ones here- proved me wrong. Yet even after those reveals, I predictably found myself shocked and angry and host of all other feelings for him, EXCEPT (and this matters) those feelings were all fleeting. Past a certain page, the emotion likewise evaporated.

There’s something I read recently that rings true for HURT. Perhaps like other things, YA is stuck “on the tired old rubric that which shocks automatically confers value.” It doesn’t.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment