Saturday, September 14, 2013

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black

The Coldest Girl in ColdtownThe Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


A great deal of effort is put into making it clear that the vampires in this one are not romantic. They’re different… and not in a good way. We do see a whole different breed of in-betweens. You get bit and you’re Cold (unless you’re dead of course). It’s the drinking blood that turns the Cold into the monsters. I got it. The whole bad ass girl, can take anything on (even the ass** boyfriend, I even kind of dug.) because, if anything, at least she wasn’t another one of those too pretty/too good/ too something else that YA heroines tend to be (only in her case, perhaps, she’s trying too hard to be very bad? OK, perhaps.)

So did I like this?
I’m not quite sure.
I am sure that the ending took something away for me.

But allow me to back track: The start was interesting. The lead girl is bad ass but not completely. Having survived an vampire attack when younger, she’s doing the right thing by her father and sister; she’s also got a great best friend who’s out of the picture (mostly). It’s with her (ex) boyfriend that things get muddled. Now enter Gavriel (the name itself clues you in on who/ what he is) and lead girl proves that she isn’t as bad ass as she’s like to think.

So now we have a girl, her ex, and a sexy vampire. Me thinks this combo calls for a… road trip? Egh… not quite. Somehow she’s on the run en route to Cold Town (in essence, vampire territory) and all the while links are forged and adventure is had. During which the girl proves herself more; the boy proves himself less. And you get it. Well, more or less.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment