Monday, September 16, 2013

Untold (The Lynburn Legacy, #2) by Sarah Rees Brennan

Untold (The Lynburn Legacy, #2)Untold by Sarah Rees Brennan

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Confession: I am a Rusty fan. The guy says he’s a charming mofo… and he is. He really is. In fact I’m in love with a good portion of the supporting cast in this one. In her father for instance we see where Kami gets her snark from.  In her friends, we see how the love among them does not go one way. This one’s not all about HER being the good girl/smart girl/ snarky one, either. They all fit… and I simply love them together.

The one thing that had me (almost) pulling my hair out was how the two main players heard then went with half the truth. They had me begging someone, somewhere, some to spit the whole truth out to set them straight! In the mean time, we’ve the story picking up for all of them. With Kami it was that unvoiced heartbreak she was feeling that had me likewise feeling all those feels on her behalf (but also frustrated by that same “true but not totally” thing going on between her and Jared.)

So speak of Jared. Oh, Jared, Jared…  Jared. Were we speaking of the romantic link that’s no more, I was of half a mind to drop something heavy on the kid. Yet, were we speaking of other things about him… Well, I liked what I got: there are new discoveries for the guy and countless truths revealed by him then to him. Better were all those moments on moments of him proving in spades that he’s more than just the scary young Lynburn. In doing all that, he made me happy; not to say that that he didn’t have my frustration level rising because he did. In fact… they all did. And that’s where their charm is that they made something that’s supposed to be really easy, so darned hard. Entertaining, yes… but frustrating, too.  God love ‘em.

But back to the supporting cast. (Rusty!) I love how they all do something here; they don’t just prop her story up; they’ve each got something going for them. Rusty (!) for all his easy go with the flow thang wasn’t just that. The protective serious bit that came from out of nowhere had me (has me) goofy-smiling. Or Angela and her figuring her things out all the while the not forcing things but taking them on solo?   Even Holly and those snippets of her side that she’s not just pretty girl but one loaded down as well. Then her father  (next to Rusty, he is my new favorite) and her family, how we see more of where she gets her sass,  but more the fact that her family demonstrates exactly what’s going on with the rest in the Vale. Not everyone is clueless, and those who aren’t are running scared, just not obviously. All that? All that was good (except, maybe, I’d have loved more of the last.)




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment