Tuesday, October 8, 2013

All the Truth That's In Me by Julie Berry

All the Truth That's In MeAll the Truth That's In Me by Julie Berry

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


 All the Truth That's In Me by Julie Berry It’s a slowly worked out story told with that rare second person point of view that's used quite brilliantly. One would think they were forced into it… except, I didn't. Mainly because it’s all those different bits that have it standing apart from what’s popular now. It’s different but in a good way… no, in an outstanding way.

The time its set isn’t even the biggest significant thing in it because it wouldn’t have been too hard of a stretch on my part to picture her in some other time, those Puritan notions, the other bits of daughter, mother, and duty… all there, but not limiting the story to just those. And while it’s not everyday I read anything about the Puritans, but to read this and her history, I’m pleasantly surprised with the turn of things in this one. Because it’s all about her and her backstory: she’s different from those around her, and it’s that same story that added another layer of different. It’s got the makings of a psychological thriller, but it’s historical and then romantic: a combination I don’t think I’ve encountered…ever.

Now, despite the time in the story, it’s not really such stretch to picture in some other time. It’s all her, who she as daughter, sister, woman (in the making).  So her backstory: being maimed, the why and the how and the who are part of it, but it’s the what-after where most of the focus is laid.

More remarkable: it’s told in second person.  Her “you” is the boy she’d love to be with, but as he grows up and is ready to move on, we read her pine for him. A pining that didn’t have me raise me brows too much… because it felt natural. How she sees him as leader, the good one, the one not damaged. That’s it: how she sees others contrasted to how others see her, and I didn’t realize how all the while it’s their stories being meshed together. How that last bit is managed is possibly one of my favorite things about this: the coming together takes place ever so slowly with these threads I wasn’t aware of come together.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment