Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Dark house (Experiment in Terror #1) by Karina Halle

Darkhouse (Experiment in Terror, #1)Darkhouse by Karina Halle

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Look, scary clown lady had me thinking:



...so I can totally see why that particular mental images would be scary. What? Was that too mean? Admit it you’d be scared too… but for most of the start to a lot of the middle, I was not as impressed as I thought I was going to be. Killer kelp and crazy light house keepers just didn’t do much for me.

She just sounds too “young” to be as kick ass as she seemed to think herself. There’s naivet√© to her that one doesn’t often find in urban fantasy heroines, though is this urban fantasy? May be not. What it is is someone figuring there’s more to who they are. What it is is two people who’ve similar things going on for them finding themselves in the same place. Did I like it? Yes? Am I interested enough to continue the series? Yes. First, there’s the idea of mysterious dude popping in from out of nowhere right when she’s questioning who she is and where she is in life. Deep. Then, the thought of aforesaid scary clown lady acting as their “sign” like a black cat to a bad ass witch. Better.

Though frankly, me wanting to continue this last is largely due to that closing scene of an eye peeking at you through a crack. Stuff of my nightmares that… just the type of scary that I was looking for!
Good start.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment