Friday, October 18, 2013

Elusion by Claudia Gabel

ElusionElusion by Claudia Gabel

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


There’s the too easy way in which people come into the story. Need a random new hot guy? Here he is. Need a bloody bestie who sees the other in a different light?? Well, there’s one too. Or what of an unknown baddy off to the sides doing god knows what? Well there’s mentions of that as well. And what of a lead who’s too smart for her own good but not as smart as the rest of them most of the time? Well, we’ve got one of those too.

Frankly, I don’t see what the big deal is: almost every other element in this is something we’ve encountered in some shape or form before. The bestie you don’t know how you feel about. The new guy with grey pewter eyes. The smart girl but not smart enough. The parents who are gone but may be not.

Where it strives to make a mark is outside the players. It’s the world that’s different. Supposedly. I think. The world’s been destroyed because of something man has done. The people are trying to make do with what they have and what they remember. Enter the Big Bad making old meet new. There are unforeseen consequences. Or are they?
Unforeseen, I mean?

The virtual world with bad bad bad things lurking should have sounded new and exciting to me, but it didn’t… and I honestly can’t tell you why. I should have loved those vivid descriptions of old world seen anew… I should have loved how everything was possible… and that may have been it: everything was too easy, too possible, with too many obvious answers.

Plus, there’s how she manages to know just the right amount but always never enough, or how the right guy shows up at just the right time, or how things are moving forward with her always there at the right time (wrong time?) It should have all worked and had me excited… except I didn’t and I wasn’t.

Thank you, Edelweiss!




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment