Friday, October 4, 2013

Gunmetal Magic by Ilona Andrews

Gunmetal MagicGunmetal Magic by Ilona Andrews

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


3.5/5

Frankly, I didn't pay that much attention to characters outside Kate and Curran in the Magic books because truly, what would the point be? But I enjoyed this, even if I started it for perhaps the wrong reasons (I was flipping pages just for a glimpse of Beast Lord and Consort!) That said, Andrea proves herself almost as formidable as Kate. She's beastkin and starts to own it in this one. Raphael too proves himself more than bouda prince. It's the back and forth between the two that was equal parts scorching and entertaining (and made me miss KD and Curran only more.)

My love for all that notwithstanding, I could have gotten behind GUNMETAL MAGIC faster if the thing(s) to resolve were better laid out; not to mention that it took ages and ages before that thing was even actually laid out.

And what thing? Well, it's two-fold here: The first is Andrea and the pack...or more apt, her not being in it. the second and equally dire issue: Why crazy gods and their crazier machinations of course! It's the first that makes Andrea a smidge more like Kate. No easy past for the tow of them, we see exactly how Andrea's past has shaped her. And it's sad but a powerful bit too... her becoming what she is despite all that. It's the crazy god bit that got confusing... the who and how and where, how all that converges could have gone smoother for me, I confess.

All said, I like this Andrea-Raphael pairing. They're no Curran and Kate (who could measure up. yes?) But they're entertaining in their own right.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment