Thursday, October 31, 2013

Ties (Lengths, #4) by Steph Campbell and Liz Reinhardt

Ties (Lengths, #4)Ties by Steph Campbell

My rating: 2.5 of 5 stars


TIES was going to be my favorite in the series.

SHE was going to be my favorite lead. What was doing it for me was her planning and seeing things a certain way. What was doing it was   her non-fussiness about matters. What was working was how non-drama she was. She was all about 'drama notwithstanding.' (I LOVED that.) There's all the background on who she has and who she doesn't have, yet it's not all that determines her choices (except, maybe it was?)

HE could have been my second favorite after Deo in Lengths with him all about the race being in perfect contrast to her. What I was liking was the succinct, accurate summing up of who they were by him (truly, what a pair of clich├ęs they were!) What was doing it was how He WAS such a screw up, but moving beyond the same. A lot like Lengths, the pair here have got a past BUT not completely bogged down by the same (him more than her) That the past matters is true...yet it's not all that does.

What killed it for me was the lousy translation. Tagalog isn't all that different from English in terms of conjugating verbs… that is having an ACTUAL verb might help, you know? I never thought myself a grammar nitpicker, but darn it, there are two of you collaborating on this one and then there’s the wonderful world of teh interwebz at both your fingertips so that you could so easily have found out that “Siya nagbigay” is missing a linking verb and that “pag-ibig” is a noun and not a verb!

To clarify, I was LOVING most everything in this till that popped up.. at 96% Way to ruin it for me, folks!




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment