Saturday, November 2, 2013

The Summer of Letting Go by Gae Polisner

The Summer of Letting GoThe Summer of Letting Go by Gae Polisner

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


This is what I think might have happened after Invincible Summer. Lordy, do you now how hard I cried after that one? Still, this was like that but less sharp because it is “the after” we’re made to deal with: how her mother for all intents is absent; how her father maybe, might be, could be not the guy she wants (needs) him to be. And how maybe, might be, likely she’s less in her own estimation as well. So things are sad and heavy, but not completely because we know it’s all going on and being felt… it’s all just left unsaid.

There’s one aspect in this that I would have loved a bit more of:  her finding that unexpected connection. Lo! It’s not the romantic one that propels her out of her rut to face what’s become of her familial unit. Anyway, it is through that connection that the odd, yet sweet, comes in to play. There’s a boy, see? But it’s fact that there WAS as a boy in their past that makes the current one stand out all the more. Simon’s memory drives her forward while keeping her family rooted so that there’s a growing gap between her and the rest of them with her trying to piece the possibilities together of who Frankie could be… at the same time grappling with the realities of who her parents weren’t.

If those things weren’t enough (and I think this is where my problems with SoLG began... because those two things up there? Well, they’re enough, believe me,) we have this side story of our lead girl as best friend but pining after her bestie’s boyfriend. So, there is in fact a Boy. See? The typical drama of ‘will I ever’ and ‘why not me’ run their course here making her head space all the more complicated yet not one ounce more interesting because let’s face it… it’s drama that we’ve all seen before. Except if I’m being honest, there’s one actual moment in this side of the story that had me feeling Polisner’s words. It’s that bit on growing up then apart; wanting  and not wanting it simultaneously. There’s truthin how it was said, and it had me sad-sighing:


 
“I miss us. I know I was just at her house, but were  not quite us anymore. Something is off between us. There’s a crack turning into a chasm. It keeps stretching wider and wider.”





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment