Thursday, December 5, 2013

Openly Straight by Bill Konigsberg

Openly StraightOpenly Straight by Bill Konigsberg

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Hollaback Girl and Boy Scouts will never be the same for me again.

Openly Straight is funny and smart; Rafe and the people around him quirky yet solid. But more than the quirks they offer and the so-awesome one-liners that had me laughing that my sides hurt, there’s the deeper point from which things start: explorations of who a person is beyond him being out.

Beyond the label, there’s that whole budding friendship then shift that takes place. It’s sweet then sweeter, till’ it, understandably, wasn’t anymore. That one part of the book has got me wanting more because its outcome is not surprisingly heart-breaking at all. Still, it’s their ‘what’s next’ that’s got me pondering.

Things make clearer sense with each moment of him recalling through his writing the numerous instances where his interactions and conversations revolve around what it’s like or not like to be out as he was, so I got it; the thing about how “exhausting” it must have been.

And I bought it, too except things took unnecessarily long in the exposition when the whole point of this is about self; not about tolerating, or accepting, or even celebrating, but merely owning who you are then opening up to see that these facets that make you up, do make you up rather than accessorize.

Read this. It’s a laugh-think-smile book.




View all my reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment