Sunday, February 23, 2014

Ignite Me (Shatter Me #3) by Tahereh Mafi

Ignite Me (Shatter Me, #3)Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


Well, sh*t. What was that?

Where did Adam go?

Who is this misunderstood Warner type I have just now learned of?


These are not the people who pulled at me in Shatter Me! Everything and everyone is flipped about and changed; I can barely recognize them.

The good? No weepy girl lead. Hurrah! The bad? No weepy  girl lead. It’s good this less-the-whine, but it’s bad too because the path her story has taken has rendered her so utterly unlikeable.

OK, so I concede. Yes, a good story does not just hinge on the likeability of its protagonists, but there’s got to be some positive in it for me to like it. Because the positives that Book Two was building up to? They’re gone from this one. Reading this series progressed thus: an OK start, a massively entertaining second, and… a hold up, I think someone just stepped off a cliff because things plummeted really fast in this one.

Mainly it’s all a tad too convenient. How Warner is not the bad guy I loved to hesitantly like. You see, Bad Boy Aura dissipates in the face of all those explanations. But it’s a handy development too because Adam the pretty awesome has likewise disappeared here. Yet, I’m of two minds when it comes to Adam. The about face in who he was for her made for yet another too easy fix like an arrow pointing to any direction BUT HIM for her.

Yet it’s the laying out of him being the first and the obvious choice felt a brave thing to lay out as well. The idea becomes: the good guy isn’t always the right guy. (Ha! And there upon shines my silver lining! At least I could name one thing I liked. This then was not a total loss.)




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment