Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The Fever: A Novel by Megan Abbott

The Fever: A NovelThe Fever: A Novel by Megan Abbott

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I’ve only read two books by Abbott having finished this one, I think I have to get her other stuff. This one had me recalling what Dare Me’s had me thinking: Girls can be scary sometimes and in Deenie’s experience, a lot of the time.

Unlike DARE ME with its girls and their tight knit groups with the politics and roles that the second dictated, this was broader in scope without taking away from the intimacy the telling. Yes, there’s the odd and the mysterious and even the hysterical, but underneath all that is a girl’s experience coupled with her father’s and her brother’s. Just to make it clear: FEVER is good.

Deenie’s changing and she’s not the only one. Her experience of this and others' perception of this are all told with this hazy and mysterious feel because there’s a distance put between the girls and the rest. It’s both matter of fact yet quietly but definitely unsettling. That same thing was made even more complicated by a disease that makes no sense. So factor in small town politics versus parental expectation, well it all sort of yields a pressure cooker situation. (In which half the time I had no idea what was coming next. ~ Yes, I liked that aspect, too.

But it’s the specific points of view of the more personal sort as with her father and his NOT-KNOWING contrasted against her brother’s NOT-WANTING-TO-KNOW that hooked me in some more… because, yes, it’s all those specific connections that make this more than just a mystery.

Thank you, Net Galley!




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment