Monday, March 30, 2015

Magonia by Maria Dahvana Headley

MagoniaMagonia by Maria Dahvana Headley

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


We've all seen those deep, deep profound quotes people have posted, yet it's this line "You've never seen surprise until you've looked into the eyes of an ascending bovine." upon which I could declare Magonia all kinds of wonderful.

Bits of this had me thinking Going Bovine, then Ava Lavender, and then a little bit of Stardust (perhaps on account of that blurb, but not really) But really it's everything in this that has me... happy. First there's the random quirk present because of two leads who are not quite the usual. Two, for what's heartfelt between her and him, her and them, and then her and the rest. Then... then those biting, honest moments of Aza as to how she viewed her goings-on. (It's this last that's reframed my perception of Little Women' Beth, my grade four fancies to that end have been shot down.)

Though this is not perfect --Jason reads too dork-perfect to be true -- most everything else felt right.

Thank you, Edelweiss!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment