Monday, April 20, 2015

Demons at Deadnight (Divinicus Nex Chronicles, #1) by A&E Kirk

Demons at Deadnight (Divinicus Nex Chronicles, #1)Demons at Deadnight by A&E Kirk

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I wasn't expecting to enjoy this as much as I did. A couple of years back when I was all about YA paranormal, recommendations for none-angsty ones were often one of two: either the Paranormalcy or Hex Hall titles. Not having read one of these in a long time, I'm glad to see that what had me latching on to the style to begin with is still present, and even improved!

Now, I want to make a whole reads-like thing here. The fact that this takes the supernatural with the awkward funny girl, plus more than one hot guy type, as well as a healthy dose of the funny had me thinking of Brennan's Unspoken series meeting Kremerrer's Elemental series. Like the first, there's genuine connections here, at least of the familial variety AND because of the same, hilarity ensued. Like the second, there's an interesting mix of mysterious and curious as well as the unintended moments of hilarious stemming from said awkward girl lead and her multiple encounters with yes, I have said this already, more than one hot guy type.

What worked for me in this has to do more with how individual each of them were. They are each a Personality (notice the capitalization there.) Quirky? Yes, but more importantly, they're clearly different from each other, contributing something to the story. We have the bad boy, at times played against the loud obnoxious self-described Casanova. Then there's the smart boy who's also hopelessly socially inept, then the sensitive one, and even the Abrasive one (likewise, capitalized.)

What's better is they're each not just that. Yes, I realize I've just finished labeling each  according their most obvious aspects, but there's more too, made evident as we witness them interact and intentionally or not reveal each their secrets. But it's that they're funny overall is what I enjoyed. They read real--- talking/shouting over the other, aware of each other's baggage, competitive but present, different but together.

All those Supernatural comparisons? Merited. The hype, around the time the book came out? Likewise.

Good stuff, this one.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment