Monday, April 13, 2015

Talon (Talon, #1) by Julie Kagawa

Talon (Talon, #1)Talon by Julie Kagawa

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


Oi. Thank God that's over. I was bored and am still bored thinking about what there is to say about this new book by Julie Kagawa. Long have I been a fan of her novels, Puck and Ash hold a special place in my heart because... well, Puck and Ash, you know?  Her other series with the kick ass vampire girl and her even more kick ass mentor were.... kick ass, you know? (at least they were eventually when they weren't complaining and angsting over having to kill to live... and all that.) In essence, I found her Iron Fey (and no, I do not count the spin off) and Blood of Eden books to be an engaging mix something old (whether they be fey or vampires) with the something different of believable characters and rapid-quick back and forth between the characters who form some sort of unexpected bond that had me cheering for one or two or all of them.

Sadly, all these positives cannot be said for TALON. And yes, this is despite the key role DRAGONS play in it. How can anyone make DRAGONS boring? And I was BORED, I tell you mostly from waiting for something different to come into play. Because DRAGONS hiding in plain sight aside, we have not one BUT TWO bad boys, and consequently the makings of love triangle -something I try not to find issue particularly if the same pushes the story forward, but that's not the case here.

But wait, the lead girl here had little to offer in terms of interesting. In her we have girl who's found new found freedom doing the expected. In fact, it's that last thing I disliked the most: THERE IS NOTHING UNEXPECTED in any of the goings on in this even though it could have. Super spy covert people? Present. Dragons in hiding? Present. Rogue agents on the lam for unknown reasons? Present, too. And yet I found myself inexplicably bored by the lack of anything interesting going on.

Thank you, NG.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment